Back to life!

Questions regarding hardware/software.
Naru
Gold Community Member
Gold Community Member

Back to life!

Postby Naru » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:27 pm

Ok, here is what I know:

1) the computer won't start. All that happens is that the power-led in my chassi glows and the Power Supply Unit tries to start, but it is only giving enough power to boot but not to turn itself off using the button on my chassi. (meaning I have to cut the power to my multiple socket)

2) any thinkable reasons to why this would happen? My best guesses are that the computer is either overheated or/and the motherboard or my processor broke down. My second guess is that the power supply unit simply won't put out enough power to boot the computer or some of the cables are loose.

3) stuff I've tried: cleaning it, relocate the power cord, top-notch guidance by cat, unplugged the video card and tried making the computer run, checked temperatures and the speed of the fans.

... and here is what I don't know:

1) how do I locate the problem?
2) when I can get money for new parts or a new computer, being unemployed and no studies at all at the moment.

Any help or guidance to what this might be or how to go about it is much appreciated!
Last edited by Naru on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Guilt
Platinum Community Member

Re: Rest in peace - computer

Postby Guilt » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:43 pm

Out of curiosity, what was causing the problem?
Contact me through forum PM or on steam.

Naru
Gold Community Member
Gold Community Member

Postby Naru » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Guilt wrote:Out of curiosity, what was causing the problem?

I actually have no idea right now. We made the conclusion that it was my video card struggling, but now when I tried to boot it today everything seemed to be fine and working.
Until I turned it off again. When I shut it down, all the fans except the CPU and GPU fans are running and my DVD-burner still had power.

As if that wasn't enough, the video card bugs out after a reboot too. But the icing on the cake is that the insurance I got for buying all the parts have run out since long.
So what do I do? Save for a new computer eventually or hoping blindly that it's just one part that's struggling and switch it out? Because right now as I've said, I have no idea. ._.

AionAblaze
Silver Community Member
Silver Community Member

Postby AionAblaze » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:01 pm

I think the problem lies with the motherboard, since you said some stuff starts up and others not, it may be that some circuits of your MB got grilled and it's not working properly (you can test your MB if you have a multimeter and test out most of its circuits to see which one is causing the problem)

Guilt

Postby Guilt » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:17 pm

AionAblaze wrote:it may be that some circuits of your MB got grilled and it's not working properly

This is actually what came to my mind too. Happened to me once, but it was an ancient PC so I had to purchase a new one.
Contact me through forum PM or on steam.

ZioN
Diamond Community Member
Diamond Community Member

Postby ZioN » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Can you enter the BIOS? If so, check temperatures and see if everything gets detected properly.

If you have a spare power supply you could try to swap it.
Proud founder of Team Rebel | 18-01-2011 - 06-03-2015

Contact details:
Steam: mrzion
PSN: ZioN_92

Boo
Community Leader
Community Leader

Postby Boo » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:57 pm

that is what i try to (what zion said)
try on other power supply maybe someone u know sou could try it..
if that wont help
try starting without vidcard, memory, dvd drive, only 1 hdd (windows)
then plug 1 ting in 1 mem orso and reboot again.. if it still works its not that....
then plug in another mem and try again. (if you have 2 or more memory modules ofcourse)
etc etc.. till you find the problem
I'm not weird i'm limited edition

Batar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Postby Batar » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:35 am

Sad to hear that Naru, have you had BSOD when crashing?
can you tell me brand ant type for your mainboard, ram , gc and power supply
have you checked the power switch connections?
have you check your main disk? is it full or nearby? have you had a defrag (if HDD)
sounds weirds indeed...
what boo said is a good way of diagnostic, the question is have you got another power supply?
if not you can test yours in a simple way : unplug all , but a fan, take the 24 pin connector and shunt green cable with any black one in the vicinity : if fan turns (when power supply plugged) all is clear if not you might have some troubles with it.

see this : http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply

depending on your PSU brand you may have lack in frequency stability too : a noname PSU getting old can become deficient even when it boots because voltages are not stable, the best thing is to swap it in this case, some very good antec psu are not that expensive, it's all depending on what you have to plug in

Naru
Gold Community Member
Gold Community Member

Postby Naru » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:30 pm

I will try all the components like you've all said, look into the BIOS after this post and check the temperatures there too and not just with the software I downloaded-- here are some screencaps of what SpeedFan and HWMonitor says:
State when the computer is idle or just browsing Google Chrome.
State when I'm running a game I've been playing lately.

There have been no BSOD either but here is my list of said components Batar:

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 EXTREME4-M mATX
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3,4 GHz (Ivy Bridge)
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE
PSU: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 2048MB OC

..and my hard drives are nowhere full, I got one SSD with Windows and some media programs like Photoshop and Maya Autodesk installed on, the rest are divided on an external drive and a portable one. I'll update on the status of my problem when I've tried these tips, thanks!

EDIT: I checked the BIOS and it shows the same temperatures as the software and I couldn't find anything out of place except for the internet connection in the BIOS.

Dexter
Owner
Owner

Postby Dexter » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:06 am

Well the prob is not that it's getting to warm, everything looks to be just fine there.

So as the other guys are saying it's prob you're mb there are the issue.

Else do a reasebel of your computer, taking all the parts from each other and then putting it back together :)
DeXter

Batar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Postby Batar » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:04 pm

Have you tried a simple clear cmos by removing and replace your MB's battery : maybe it's as simple as a dead or dying battery ...

(don't forget to re set your ssd sata port as AHCI by entering bios on next launch, otherwise windows won't boot)

Naru
Gold Community Member
Gold Community Member

Postby Naru » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:10 pm

So I've stress tested it for 2 days and everything is running A-ok apart from when I have to turn it off manually, but other than that there is nothing else now.
But I will still invest in a new motherboard and PSU when I can afford. Thanks a lot for all the help and tips, really appreciate it!

Edit: Well it only took a couple of days for it to start acting up again, leaving me back at where I first started. There's nothing I can do about it for now. :?
Edit numero dos: Today I formatted the computer and did a clean install of Windows. I'm pretty sure it is the PSU now because there can't be much left to pin down now..

Naru
Gold Community Member
Gold Community Member

Postby Naru » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:55 pm

A glorious double post to get some attention.

I've not been able to boot the computer for a week until today. I borrowed some cash for a new PSU, but it seem like it wasn't enough.

So now I want suggestions on a new motherboard that isn't too pricy. (I'm gonna have to take out cash from my savings that I'm not really supposed to touch, but so be it)

There are so many and I don't really know how to tell which is better than the other. But I do know I need one that is ATX.

Boo
Community Leader
Community Leader

Postby Boo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:52 pm

ehm.. what socket is your cpu??? ddr 3 , drr4??
sli or crossfire??
give us some more info about your comp..
do u want to buy only a new motherboard or a cpu aswell?
I'm not weird i'm limited edition

Naru
Gold Community Member
Gold Community Member

Postby Naru » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:06 pm

Boo wrote:ehm.. what socket is your cpu??? ddr 3 , drr4??
sli or crossfire??
give us some more info about your comp..
do u want to buy only a new motherboard or a cpu aswell?

I'm not running two cards at the same time and I don't know what socket my CPU is. But after some discussion here at home, we decided I could go about this however I wanted to. So I'll take out enough money for a new motherboard, CPU, a cooler and maybe a bigger Chassi/Casing.

If you got any idea of how I should plan the purchase of those together other than size, please help. :P

Return to “Tech Support”